Wednesday, March 20, 2013

"Everything can change but only with abandon."

 
 
 
You Deserve Nothing by Alexander Maksik is one of those books I can’t really put my finger on. Just when I thought I was really enjoying the story and character, a plot twist occurs that makes me question both. I read the story very quickly because I desperately wanted to see how it would continue to evolve and whether I would change my mind again or not. When it was all said and done I really can’t decide whether I like the character, hate the character or whatever the middle ground of those two things would be defined as.
 
The story is told from the perspective of Will Silver, a 38 year old American who teaches at a high school in Paris for American citizens; military brats, ambassador’s children and the like. He is the teacher in the style of Robin Williams in Dead Poets Society. He challenges the status of life, makes the students really truly feel the readings and allows for a respectful but rebellious atmosphere in his classroom. He teaches them to question life, think things through and make reasoned arguments when they want to rebel. He is the ‘cool’ teacher on campus who all the guys seek approval from and all the girls seek attention from. Just when I find myself attracted to this character, his style and intelligence, he makes a choice that we have seen on the news a hundred times that makes me cringe.
 
To round out the narrative it is told from two other points of view but not in that jumbled back and forth, ‘who is speaking now?’ kind of way. It makes for an interesting and quick paced read. Gilad is our second point of view. He is a loner, deep thinking student who is stuck deciding what is worth fighting for and what is worth taking action on. He is an interesting character and fills the part of hero worshipper to Mr. Silver.
 
The third point of view is Marie; junior aged student who is always in the shadow of her beautiful and outgoing best friend Ariel, whom she doesn’t even particularly care for. Marie gives rise to our plot twist and is the catalyst for the complicated emotional undertones of this book.
Overall, I found it an enjoyable read. It was much more complex than the dust jacket ever gave it credit for and it left me going back and forth on my decisions and presumptions of these characters. This book is not for everyone, if you do not enjoy literature and philosophy than skip it. If you like the mix of intellectual discussion with real life human emotions and drama than maybe go ahead and add this one to your list. For me it is middle but I don’t regret giving it my time.
2.5 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment