Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Gospel re-imagined.

 
 
 
I have had a string of less than stellar fiction reads lately so it was time to switch it up. I went for a compilation of short stories by Jonathan Goldsteing entitled "Ladies and Gentleman, The Bible." I find religion to be a fascinating, yet enraging concept so it is rather interesting that I read so much about it. I have no religious affiliations, in fact if asked I would say I'm an atheist. I read about religion and religious materials in an attempt to understand the fervor people hold and also to have the knowledge to sustain and intelligent and non emotional conversation if ever they do arise, which they often do.

What Goldstein does in this book is take some of the more famous stories of the Bible and re writes them in a satirical way. He does not rail against them in a way that makes a mokery out of them so much as he just modernizes and re imagines them. He says that David fought Goliath because he was an aspiring comedian and thought that killing a giant with a stone would be the most hilarious thing the people had ever seen. He enlightens us on Jonah's time in the whale, Samson and Delilahs relationship and the true happenings in the saga that is Jacob and Esau.

This book is nothing to go yelling at the moon about but it was funny and made for some enjoyable light reading. I finished it in about a day and a half and it served as a great bridge into my next book. It's one of those that you find on the discount shelf at your local bookstore and hang onto because it's interesting enough and it's cheap. If you happen to come across it on sale go for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment