Sunday, April 21, 2013

If one choice can change your life, one choice can destroy it.




Insurgent continues the reader on our journey with Beatrice 'Tris' Prior in her struggles to define herself and the world she is living in. Book two, in this as yet incomplete trilogy, picks up exactly where Divergent leaves off with so many questions unanswered. Having survived the intentionally deadly simulation brought on by Jeanine Matthews, Beatrice and her boyfriend/protector/partner Tobias Eaton try to unravel the mysteries of faction life and to do so they need to rely on every aptitude of there personality and dig through some very painful memories to put the pieces of this far reaching plan of destruction together.
Insurgent brings a lot of the same action as Divergent which makes them flow seamlessly as if they were all one book. The pace is swift which correlates with what is happening to the characters so at times you feel yourself on a frantic pace of energy and curiosity which makes for entertaining reading.
Also in Insurgent we start to see more of Tris and Tobias' personalities and start to understand a bit more of their intentions and motivations. I think in a very small way this book falls into the trap of middle series in that it not only has to keep the narrative going from the first book but it also has to set up the last book which is a very difficult thing for a writer to accomplish. There are points where I feel my interests waining for the smallest of margins and I think I lose the characters a little. That may also be because I read book 1 and 2 back to back so maybe I was on overload. I think I would still have these moments if I had read a buffer book but not as badly.
Overall Insurgent takes us deeper into our characters and their struggle. It leaves you before you're ready for it to and the wait until book three seems like an eternity now that I'm ready for it. I am looking forward to the conclusion of the Divergent story in the currently unnamed third book which is slated to release October 22, 2013.
At least by the time the movie releases in Spring 2014, I will have the full story and have had time to anticipate seeing it on the big screen.
3.5 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment