Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Plotting or Pantsing?


One of the biggest debates in the writing community is over whether it is better to be a plotter or pantser. Plotting is just like what it sounds; when you have an idea for a novel you structure it out with major plot points, plan out a general sequence of events and fill in as many relevant details as you need.

Pantsing is a term based on the saying ‘flying by the seat of your pants.’ Pantsers jump right in head first. Some of the first words they put on paper are in the draft. They have an idea and just let it take them where it will.

There are benefits and drawbacks to both theories and depending on what kind of personality you have and what kind of writer you are will determine what camp you fall into. Let’s take a more in depth look at these theories.

 

Plotting:

-Allows for a structure that is easy to follow

-Guides your writing

-Ideally prevents major re-writes later on in the process

-Provides continuity for details throughout the story

-Keeps things organized

-Creates a source for background information that you can go back to later on

-Allows you to plot multiple stories at one time to come back to later

 

Pantsing:

-Taking an idea and jumping straight into writing

-Allows for fast paced creativity

-Leaves room for any and all directions

-Can lead to inconsistent details

-Requires little to no prep

 

 

In my experience I have written three formal manuscripts to date and have done three different methods. My first finished manuscript was straight pantsing. I would take note of details after I wrote them to try to keep continuity through out but it was not planned other than for the initial idea. This worked well because I could put my ideas to paper instantly but I did have  MAJOR re-writes and editing because half way through my draft the story took an entirely unexpected direction and I changed the entire ending. In defense of pantsing, had I plotted this novel I’m not sure I would have plotted this unexpected ending, it was just something that happened. But I did have multiple character name changes, many cut and pastes that need to be sequenced and overall continuity issues.

My second manuscript was a totally different genre and required a lot of invention and imagination so I took a much more plotted course on it. I wrote out character profiles, definitions, words, and plot points to create this imagined sci-fi world. I like this method as well because it served a very useful purpose. When I was creating a world from scratch I needed to think many steps ahead to make it believable and something I could build off of. I couldn’t pants my way through this subject matter so in this case I give to edge to plotting when writing about an imagined setting.

On my third manuscript that’s in production I did a fusion of both. I had the initial idea and got some very basic details down so I would not forget them. When I say basic, I mean basic. Like one word setting descriptions, arrows pointing from one keyword to another and maybe a few key notes on potential endings. With the basic idea in mind I set my hands to the keys and let it rip. When the flow is there I get going and don’t feel the end to go back for more details or make sure I’m on track with my guide. This manuscript however was a story based present day so I wasn’t inventing anything other than characters and storyline. I didn’t have to build a world or put my readers in an understandable but foreign setting.

My final opinion on the subject, just like with everything else in the writing world, I think whatever works best for you is what you should do. If you like to let it flow and go back to clean up later then go for it. If you want to see it all mapped out in front of you before you dive into it then plot away. You can even kill two birds with one stone by taking advice from Agatha Christie. She said “The best time for planning a book is while you're doing the dishes.” 

No matter what your theory writing should be personal and real. Whatever can bring the best out of you is the way you should go. The only wrong thing to do is to not start.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment